JASPER CRANE ROSE GARDEN
FOWP is responsible for the care of the Jasper Crane Rose Garden, a horticultural jewel of the park, frequented by thousands of visitors
This landmark was established in 1933-34 as a project that combined the efforts of the City of Wilmington, Federal Government, and private citizens.
The garden was planned in 1933 as a Public Works Administration project. A rose garden in Brandywine Park was a long-time dream of Board of Parks Commissioner Edgar L. Haynes. He and other commissioners studied public rose gardens and consulted Horace McFarland, founder and president of the American Rose Society. Jasper E. Crane, a DuPont vice president, donated 670 plants of 58 different varieties. Crane carefully chose plants that he had grown in his own garden, which was renowned for its beauty. The beds were designed so that 400 more roses could be planted when funding was available.
The rose garden was a beautiful success. In 1935, American Rose Annual noted it would be “one of the loveliest rose gardens in the country.” The garden was at its peak in the 1950s with 1,000 plants and 100 varieties. The garden became known as the Jasper Crane Rose Garden.